The Mouse Knows Best Podcast

Friday, July 14, 2017

On This Magic Night: Top Five Nighttime Spectaculars, Past and Present

After a long day at the parks, it is time for the best part of the day.  As the sun sets, people begin to hunt for the perfect spot to catch the parade or fireworks show that is probably still an hour away.  The excitement and anticipation builds as the crowds form along the parade routes and in front of Cinderella’s Castle.
 

And then it happens.


The music from the parade or fireworks show begins to play over the loudspeaker and for a few minutes, crowds watch entranced at the magical display happening in front of them.

There have been numerous parades and firework shows over the years, but I have narrowed this list down to my personal top five list of past and presents spectaculars.


Walt Disney World

5. Happily Ever After

Although I haven’t seen this one in person yet, I’ve watched the replay of the Disney Parks live stream several times. I love the incorporation of lesser known movies - such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame - along with smash hits such as Frozen. Happily Ever After encompasses all of Disney, and for that, I think it will stand the test of time just like Wishes did for so many years.

Disney Tourist Blog

4. HalloWishes/Boo To You

Anyone that knows me knows that my favorite time of year at Walt Disney World is fall for two reasons: Food and Wine and Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party.  MNSSHP has been a favorite of mine since it’s debut almost a decade ago.  The HalloWishes fireworks show is narrated by the Haunted Mansion Ghost Host, which as everyone knows is my favorite attraction.  And the Boo to You! Parade is hands down the best themed parade out there.  Between the music and the Haunted Mansion grave diggers, it’s a spellbinding Halloween treat that I look forward to every year.  When attending the party, I like to plan my night so I can watch the parade from my favorite spot, make it to the castle to watch the fireworks, then catch the second parade wherever I can find a spot.  And let’s not forget all the candy. Overall, I think the Halloween party is the best special ticket event at WDW.


The Laughing Place

3. SpectroMagic

Ahhhh Spectro.  This parade has been a favorite of my brother and I for as long as I can remember.  It ran for nearly two decades at WDW and although it had a long run, I feel like it could have gone on forever and I wouldn’t have minded.  At the time of its debut, it was a replacement for the Main Street Electrical Parade and was definitely an upgrade in my opinion. And although I’m all for nostalgia and keeping originals the same (#WeWantsTheRedHead), I don’t think that replacing SpectroMagic with the Main Street Electrical Parade was the way to go.  But that’s just one girl’s opinion.  Either way, I think we can all agree that SpectroMagic was truly the best nighttime parade, past and present.

Disney Tourist Blog

2. World Of Color

I have only seen World of Color live once in 2014, and it was amazing.  When I went to Disneyland for the first time, I had tried my best to not watch any ride through videos or videos of the shows on YouTube so that I could experience it all for the first time live. This was hands down the best way to go about that trip for me because I had no idea what to expect as I stood on Paradise Pier and watched the water come to life.  I loved the fact that, like Happily Ever After, it pays tribute to films from all eras, as well as Pixar.  But the main thing I loved about this show is it’s tribute to Walt Disney.

Mouse Hints

1. Wishes

When I became a cast member in the fall of 2012, Wishes Nighttime Spectacular was the first show I watched with my blue ID tucked into my pocket.  I had seen the show countless times before, but as I stood on Main Street that August night, I saw the show differently.  It was like the rest of the crowd had melted away and Jiminy Cricket was talking directly to me about all your wishes coming true.  To me, Wishes perfectly embodied Disney.  The music, the story, the effects - they were all perfect Disney Magic.  Because if I’ve learned anything from Walt Disney, it’s that wishes really do come true.

So now that you know my top parades and firework shows, let me know yours! Tweet us @TMKBPodcast and let us know your favorite!

Robyn Fleenor is a contributing writer for The Mouse Knows Best Podcast. She is an avid Disney fanatic and would rather be at Walt Disney World eating glazed almonds than anything else.  When she isn't working to pay for her next Disney vacation, she likes to binge watch TV shows and fall in love with fictional characters. She can be found tweeting at @rahrah6263.

No comments:

Post a Comment