The Mouse Knows Best Podcast

Friday, August 25, 2017

Tips for the Disney College Program: Applying


In January 2012, I applied for the Disney College Program at Walt Disney World.  It was a spur of the moment decision, but it was a decision I do not regret.  Since it is Disney College Program application season, I thought I would pass some advice along to the next generation of Disney College Program participants.  Over the next four weeks, I’ll be doing a series titled Tips for the DCP where I will focus on four aspects of the program:  Applying, Arriving, Working, and Playing.  I’ll also be answering question over on my Twitter @rahrah6263 for anyone who has questions about the DCP!


So let’s get this started!  It’s time to apply for the Disney College Program!

Applying



The Disney College Program is a semester long paid internship for students in college or who have recently graduated. Program dates correlate with college semesters, so students will either be applying for Fall or Spring programs. For me, I applied in January and my program was August through January.  Applications for the Spring Program (January-May) typically come open in late August. It is best to get your application in early, so sign up for the Disney College Program emails to stay up to date with everything.


For me, the application process for the DCP went super quick.  Just two weeks after applying, I received the email that I had been accepted to the program.  I know I am lucky because I know some people who waited for over a month to hear back about their acceptance.
The application process starts with the standard job application where you fill out your school and work background and all that fun stuff.  It is a tedious application but don’t dispair!  It is also where you get to select the roles you want to apply for.  There are a vast array of roles to apply for so be sure to check all the ones you would want to do to increase your chances at gaining a position in the program.  With that being said though, don’t put down your interest for a role you wouldn’t actually want to do.


After the initial application process, you’ll receive an email for a web-based interview if you’ve made it past the first cut.  I’m not sure if this interview is the same as when I took it, but I had to answer several questions on a scale that ranged from your work ethic to if you’re ok with standing in the Florida sun.  This helps the recruiters get a sense of who you are before choosing to move you along to the next part of the application process.


Once you make it past the initial application process, you’ll receive an email to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter.  The phone interviews are a great time for you to express who you are and why you want to work for The Walt Disney Company.  It is also the perfect time to tell them what location and role you would most like to do.  Although they cannot guarantee anything, they usually make a note of your preferences.

For me, I told my recruiter I wanted to work at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in retail and that is exactly where I ended up.  Although not everyone may be as lucky, it is worth mentioning to your recruiter what you want to do and where you’d want to do it.


Once the phone interview is over, you’ll be sent into the longest waiting process of your life.  It can take over four weeks sometimes to hear back about your acceptance, but trust me: the email is worth the wait.



Accepting the Job Offer



After celebrating your acceptance into the DIsney College Program, it is time to select your arrival/departure dates and pay the program fees.  You only have a few days to do this so be ready once you get the email of your acceptance.


Your job offer will tell you what role you will be in, but it will not tell you the location.  They save the location until you arrive on the program, and it makes for a magical moment when you find out your work location.   The offer will also tell you all the details of your program so be sure to read it carefully.

Preparing for Arrival



As your arrival date draws near, make sure you have completed all the onboarding paperwork and you have all the necessary documents for your I9 paperwork once you arrive.  You’ll also need to print your boarding pass and itinerary prior to bring with you to check-in.  If you are bringing a vehicle, make sure you have the registration paperwork in your name at check in.  You will also need a proof of car insurance.

Enjoy the Adventure



The Disney College Program is an experience unlike any other.  It will challenge you in ways you never thought possible, and it will bring you more joy than you knew could exist while working in 100 degree weather.  You will experience an array of emotions from the happiness when you arrive to the sadness when you leave.


The best advice I received before beginning the Disney College Program was to keep an open mind. You might not get the location or role that you want, but you can embrace the fact that you were chosen to carry on Walt Disney’s legacy and go out there everyday and make him proud.


If you have any questions about any aspects of the Disney College Program, please tweet me at @rahrah6263. 

Robyn Fleenor is a contributing writer for The Mouse Knows Best Podcast. She is an avid Disney fanatic and would rather be at Walt Disney World eating glazed almonds than anything else.  When she isn't working to pay for her next Disney vacation, she likes to binge watch TV shows and fall in love with fictional characters. She can be found tweeting at @rahrah6263. 

No comments:

Post a Comment