The Mouse Knows Best Podcast

Friday, November 10, 2017

Looking Back to Look Forward

Robyn Fleenor
Over the past few weeks, we took a look back at Future World as we explored the EPCOT Center pavilions. On today's blog, I wanted to take a different look back as a way of saying thank you to everyone who brought EPCOT Center to life and to all of those who still inspire the next generation today.

Looking Back: Robyn at Epcot


According to my mother's photography, my first trip to Epcot was in 1993 when I was two.

Me and my mom by the Epcot fountain.
THAT COSTUME THO.

I need Minnie's bow.

Oh look! Dad had on a fanny pack. Shocker. 
In 1995, I had my first dining experience at the Garden Grille.

Little did we know then that he would be my boss in a few years.
I have always loved the chipmunks!
Minnie forgot to come by our table, but made it up to me with a private photo op. :)
Although we apparently didn't visit Epcot on our 1996 vacation, it was Cody's first trip, so I thought the moment warranted some photos.

Look how happy he is!
His planning days started early.
Cody apparently experienced Epcot for the first time in 1997. Props to Mom for getting a photo by the now iconic fountain.

And yes, that's my model pose.
Some things never change. For example, its now 1998 and Dad still has a fanny pack on.

RIP Ellen's Energy Adventure.
The millennium came with two trips to Walt Disney World for the Fleenor family, and after flipping through the first photo book, I complained to my mom that she missed the most iconic thing about 2000 at Epcot. Of course, I had to apologize upon opening the next book and seeing this photo. Thanks, Mom!

Glad it's gone but it's cute looking back.
Again, I have to give props to my mom for taking photos like these. This one was from 2002.

Dad and his fanny pack: a true love story.

Out of courtesy to Cody and myself, I'll stop the photos there before we enter the awkward teens years.  Flash forward to 2012 when I became a Cast Member, and I got to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Epcot with my roommate and best friend, Erika.

And yes, we had Happy Birthday Epcot buttons on.
During my time at Disney, I spent many days off at Epcot. It was my favorite place to go and take a book and read. And of course, have some fun.

It was a jolly holiday with Mary and Bert.
Roommates & BFFs for life.
First time visiting me as a Cast Member!
My Food and Wine Festival costume.
At the end of the Princess Half Marathon.
Sunset at World Showcase Lagoon.
Epcot has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and I cannot wait to see how it grows and changes as I continue to grow and change with it.

Robyn Fleenor is a contributing writer for The Mouse Knows Best Podcast. She is an avid Disney fanatic and would rather be at Walt Disney World eating glazed almonds than anything else.  When she isn't working to pay for her next Disney vacation, she likes to binge watch TV shows and fall in love with fictional characters. She can be found tweeting at @rahrah6263.

No comments:

Post a Comment