The Mouse Knows Best Podcast

Friday, November 24, 2017

Tips for the DCP: Playing

Now that the work day is done and you can finally find your way from the parking lot to your work location, it’s time for the best part of the Disney College Program: playing in the parks.  On my CP, and even after I became a full-time Cast Member, my ID was swiped nearly every week at a different park.  One time, I was bored in the afternoon and headed to Magic Kingdom for dinner just because I could.  Once there, I decided that I wanted to go to each park in four hours.  I built on that and ended up doing one attraction at each park over the next four hours.  It was a great evening just spent wandering around by myself at Disney.  This is the one time in your life where you will have unlimited free access to the parks so use that.  

Bucket List



Make a bucket list of things you want to do before you leave and set out to accomplish them.  This is something that I didn’t do but really wish I had.  Even though I didn’t write them down, I knew some things I wanted to do and I was able to accomplish them.  I have been on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour three times now.  I have experienced the Wild African Trek in all its amazingness.  I have eaten at every place at the Walt Disney World Resort that I’ve wanted too...except California Grille and Victoria and Albert's if anyone wants to pay for those.

Parks



Let me reiterate once more that this is the one time in your life where you will have unlimited free access to the parks.  Get off work before a park closes?  Go and watch the nighttime show.  Got a day off from work?  Go to the parks and eat a caramel apple.  Your time on the Disney College Program goes by so fast that you don’t want to waste it.  Spend your mornings before work doing laundry and other chores so you can be totally carefree on your off days.  Some weeks you will only have one day off, and you don’t want that day to be filled with errands.


An aspect of the parks that cannot be overlooked is the details.  Sometimes, we get so focused on getting from one attraction to another that we don’t take the time to catch the little glimpses of Disney Magic (for example, the windows on Main Street or the different animal encounters at Animal Kingdom).  


Depending on the time of year you are in the DCP, you will experience either the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival or the Epcot Food and Wine Festival.  Both offer a great selection of food, drink, and entertainment from countries around the world that you can only experience at the festival.  Grab a passport and wander around the countries.  I’m not one for trying new foods, but the festivals give you the perfect chance to try something unique and be adventurous.  It’s also a great idea to go with someone, or a group, so you can split the costs of the food and drinks and also try more without breaking the budget.


A favorite pastime of mine while at DIsney was meeting all the different characters I could.  I even had a canvas print made of a photo I took of CInderella’s Castle and would take it around to have the characters sign.  It was such a fun experience and the characters, Cast Members, and guests I saw all seemed to love the idea.  I would recommend doing something as a way to collect signatures from Character that is a better keepsake than an autograph book.

Resorts



Most of us are not lucky enough to have stayed at every Disney Resort, but on the DCP, you can at least visit them all.  When I first moved to Florida, there were several resorts I hadn’t even been to, but now, there's not one that I haven’t been to, ate at, shopped at, or swam at.  Although the introduction of MyMagic+ has kinda eliminated the last one for everyone.


There is so much to do at the resorts other than spend the night.  Each resort has at least one place to eat and some of the best food on Disney property can be found there.  The Zebra Domes at the Animals Kingdom Lodge’s The Mara are an absolutely must - sometimes several times a trip - for me.  Trail’s End Restaurant at Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground has some of the best BBQ and breakfast you can find, and since most meals come with a Cast Member discount, it’s a hard bargain to pass up for an unlimited buffet.


Several resorts offer some kind of outdoor activity, from biking to renting boats to horseback riding.  Do as many of these activities as you can because most offer a Cast Member discount.  Personally, I love the walking trail at the Port Orleans resorts and the biking trail at the Boardwalk. If you’re on the DCP during the holidays, be sure to walk through Fort Wilderness Campground because a lot of people decorate their cabins and campers for the holidays.


Speaking of holidays, visit as many resorts as you can if you’re around when the Christmas decorations are up.  Each resort has unique Christmas decor that is themed perfectly to the resort.  The Grand Floridian even has a life size gingerbread house in which you can buy gingerbread cookies.  Getting dressed up with some friends and making it a day of resort hopping is the perfect way to avoid the parks when they get too crowded.


Although it wasn’t open on my program, I would highly recommend everyone visit Trader Sam's Grog Grotto whether you drink or not.  In addition to a variety of alcoholic beverages served in amazingly detail mugs, the atmosphere alone is one that all Disney fans need to experience at some point in their life.

Housing Events



Part of the activities fee you pay when you first accept your Disney College Program position goes to funding housing events for participants.  Although I personally only attended one event other than graduation (it was super crowded, so we took a few pics and went home), for those who like to mingle more, it is a great time to meet DCP participants who are not your roommates or your co-workers.  There are typically flyers up at Disney Housing to inform you what events are coming up and where they are taking place, so if it is something you want to do, be sure to keep an eye out.


Even if you don’t want to go to the housing events, be sure that you go to the graduation ceremony toward the end of your program.  You’ll get some cute keepsakes, a certificate of completion, and you’ll get to meet some characters decked out in caps and gowns.  It’s adorable and fun and you won’t want to miss it.  Coming from a girl who missed everything else but went to two graduations, that’s saying something.

Outside Disney



It is easy to get lost in The Disney Bubble while on the Disney College Program, but don’t forget that you’re near other theme parks and beaches that are only a little less fun than Disney.  :)


My roommate and I decided to get annual passes for Universal Studios and went several times during our DCP.  It’s a nice break from Disney and let's you experience something different.  I know back a long time ago when I was there in 2012, they offered a discount on annual passes to DCP kids, but I’m not sure how accurate that is now.  

Either way, get out and explore the world around you.  You’re two hours away from either coast, so just get in the car and go one day. Personally, I'd recommend the Gulf Coast side, and Clearwater is an easy drive from Disney.

Robyn Fleenor is a contributing writer for The Mouse Knows Best Podcast. She is an avid Disney fanatic and would rather be at Walt Disney World eating glazed almonds than anything else.  When she isn't working to pay for her next Disney vacation, she likes to binge watch TV shows and fall in love with fictional characters. She can be found tweeting at @rahrah6263. 

No comments:

Post a Comment